Join Jake "The Scribe" Lloyd, Dave "Well Dressed" Crespo and Sam "Shortstop" Healy for the only podcast dedicated to American University men's basketball. Throughout the season, the fellas break down the Eagles' games, experiences at Bender Arena, and the Patriot League. Listen for hoops talk, humor, and more!
No one watches more Bucknell basketball up close than Doug Birdsong, the
play-by-play man of the Bison. Doug took a few minutes out of his very busy
schedule to answer some questions as American prepares to play at the
Four concussions!? The fellas discuss how the Eagles have navigated early
season head injuries to a 3-6 start; the continued ascension of Larry "The
Scorer" Motuzis; Patriot League storylines; and much more....
1. American scores on five of first six possessions
The Eagles came out powerfully on the offensive end, taking the ball to the
basket and scoring consistently. Larry Motuzis and Sa'eed Nelson got to the
rim, and Jesse Little scored as well....
Don't worry about the heartbreaker, guys. Yep, AU just blew a late lead to fall to 0-3, but the new guys are impressing and there are plenty of positives to take from the Eagles' first three games. The fellas break it all down, throw in some jokes, and go on a couple tangents, too.Listen above or below or subscribe on iTunes....
American dropped its 2017-18 opener at Kansas State, 83-48. Here are five
key plays/sequences from the loss.
1. The new guys come out shooting
It was evident from the opening minute that American's new guys weren't
afraid to shoot or wait for the end of the shot clock in Mike Brennan's
Princeton scheme. CB bricked a 3. Larry Motuzis got AU on the board. CB
nailed a corner 3. Sam Iorio missed an open look. And watch CB get up and
miss a put-back dunk off a Sa'eed Nelson miss. It's evident these...
The wait is almost over. The fellas leave no rocks unturned in cautiously
predicting the 2017-18 season for the Eagles and the Patriot League and
dissecting the biggest storylines. Here's your primer for a new season of
0-32:00 — Biggest storylines
33-45 — Mailbag
45-1:00 — Non-conference preview
1:00 — Patriot League preview...
Dave Crespo of the podcast was at AU Media Day and the Chalk Talk Oct. 21,
where he spoke to most of the players and coach Mike Brennan, and had these
initial takeaways of the 2017-18 AU Eagles who were predicted to finish
ninth in the Patriot League by the conference's coaches and SIDs....
Crespo and Jake hold a late-night session to break down American's late-season success and the Eagles' prospects as they head into the league tournament. Listen for the perfect preview of Patriot League postseason basketball.Listen above or below....
If American's season ends early in the Patriot League tournament — a quarterfinal loss at Bucknell seems most likely — the 2016-17 season will be chalked up as a disappointment. A team that couldn't even win double figure games. Injuries. Regression for Delante Jones. An unsteady rotation.Except that it hasn't been a complete wash. It's been far from that. Freshman Sa'eed Nelson is a big reason why. Nelson has made a struggling, slow-tempo team fun to watch because you never know what he'll do next. Fr...
American defeated Navy 74-58 to improve to 7-21, 4-13 in the Patriot League heading into its regular-season finale at Loyola. Here are five key plays/sequences from the win.
1. Matt Cimino gets start, starts hotThe GW transfer made the most of his first start of the season, making two quick 3s, feeding Charlie Jones for a perfect backdoor -- Cimino has proven to be the best backdoor-passing player on the team -- and finishing with 12 points, four rebounds, and three blocks in 25 minutes. Cimino was th...
American fell 69-54 to Holy Cross in its home finale, dropping the Eagles to 6-21, 3-13 in the league. Here are five key plays/sequences from the game.
1. Holy Cross 9-0 run to startAmerican came out slow, a recurring problem throughout the season. After a Matt Husek 3 (more on him in a minute), the Crusaders got to the rim three straight times.
2. American scores nine straight to even thingsJames Washington provided a needed spark off the bench, slicing through the zone and dishing to Mark Gasp...
American seniors Yilret Yiljep and Charlie Jones and head coach Mike Brennan spoke after American's 69-54 loss to Holy Cross on senior day. Full video above and select quotes below. YY ON TAKING THE OPENING TIP"It was very emotional. It was very emotional for me. It's been a long time. I haven't stepped on the court since freshman year. It was just very inspirational and very emotional."CHARLIE ON WHAT THE DAY WAS LIKE"It was great to see YY finally get what he deserved for sticking through, perseverin...
For me, the story of Charlie Jones began during the semifinals of the 2014 Patriot League tournament against Holy Cross. The host Eagles looked dead in the water, with a lifeless offense and trailing the Crusaders by 10 points early in the second half.That's when the no-name freshman walk-on happened. That's when Charlie Jones saved American's season en route to the league title and a trip to the NCAA Tournament. First, Charlie hit a 3. Then he scored a layup. Then he blocked a shot. Later, he saved a ...
American picked up its third Patriot League win at Army. Here are five key plays/sequences from the game.
1. Lonnie Rivera goes off in the first halfLonnie had a big first half with 10 points, two rebounds, a steal and an assist. It was the beginning of a nice bounce-back game for the sophomore who played 30 minutes — 23 more than he did vs. BU.
2. Army's turnoversSome of them were forced — see Alex Paquin get a hand on the ball here — and many of them were unforced, but Army was a turnover mach...